Substance Abuse Stats in DeSoto, Texas
DeSoto, in Dallas County, has seen a rise in drug and alcohol-related deaths in recent years:1,3,4
Everything You Need to Know About Visiting DeSoto, Texas
Being a gateway city, Desoto has easy access to public transportation and a wide range of amenities and comforts:
- To get to DeSoto from nearly anywhere in the world, take a flight to the Dallas Fort-Worth International Airport (DFW), which is a 32 minutes drive away. You can also take the Amtrak train into the city. If you need a ride from the airport, take the Trinity Railway Express from DFW.
- The city has its own public bus system, STAR Transit, which recently launched the STARNow app, which features a simple ride-request system. STAR runs on three routes, which run daily. Tickets are $1 unless you’re a senior or disabled, in which case there is no fee.
- DeSoto has eight shopping malls, including the Northgate Plaza Shopping Center and the Cinemark Movie Theater.
- There are 18 public parks in the city, as well as the Thorntree Golf Club.
- The Windmill Hill Nature Reserve is a great place to take in DeSoto’s natural beauty, as does the Ray Orr Trail and the Historic Nance Farm.
- Popular attractions in the city include the Texas Helicopter Experience, Munster Mansion, and the nearby Dallas Zoo.
- Center for Disease Control. (2022). CDC Wonder Tool.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2022). Treatment Locator Map.
- Center for Disease Control. (2022). U.S. County Opioid Dispensing Rates, 2020.
- National Library of Medicine. (October 27, 2022). Heroin and fentanyl in Dallas County: A 5-year retrospective review of toxicological, seized drug, and demographical data.