Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Ocala, FL
Here’s a quick look at the impacts of the opioid epidemic in Ocala and Marion County:2,3
The overall number of substance-related deaths increased by more than 570% in Marion county during this time.
By 2020, opioids were linked to 83% of all overdose deaths in Marion County.
Traveling to and Within Ocala, Florida
If you’re thinking of visiting someone attending an alcohol or drug rehab in Ocala or will be entering a treatment center there, here are a few things to help with your travels:
- The nearest airports to Ocala are the Gainesville Regional Airport (35.62 miles away) and the Orlando Sanford International Airport (61 miles away).
- There are plenty of hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and Airbnbs to choose from for your stay in Ocala.
- While Historic Downtown Ocala is walkable, the rest of the town isn’t. However, SunTran provides seven public bus routes, and Uber and Lyft are widely available.
- The most popular activities in Ocala include visiting the many horse farms, historic sites, and museums. There’s also the beautiful, primeval Ocala National Forest that’s teeming with rare birds, natural springs, and other species native to Florida.
- Florida Health. (2022, September 2). Coordinated Opioid Recovery (CORE). https://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/opioid-response/CORE.html
- Brown, Bryce. (2022, February 15). The opioid epidemic continues to plague north central Florida communities. https://www.wuft.org/news/2022/02/15/the-opioid-epidemic-continues-to-plague-north-central-florida-communities/
- Florida Department of Health. (2022, September 12). Marion recognizes National Opioid and Substance Use Awareness Day, provides resources for help. https://marion.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2022/09/09_12.html