Alcohol and Drug Abuse Statistics in Margate, FL
The extent and impact of drug and alcohol use in Margate and Broward County are shown in the following statistics:1,2,3
There was a 72% increase in overdose deaths involving fentanyl in 2020 compared to 2019.
About 3,500 residents visited the emergency room for non-fatal drug overdose in 2020.
Emergency medical service personnel administered naloxone to about 2,800 residents in 2020.
About 49% of the residents 12 years and older reported using alcohol, and about 21% reported binge drinking alcohol in the past month between 2016 and 2018.
- Close to 2,700 residents were arrested in Broward County for drugs in 2020.
- There were 766 cases of fatal drug overdose in 2020.
Local Information for Margate, FL
There are several options for travel to and within Margate, FL, including plane, bus, and train. You may find the following tips useful if you plan to seek rehab in Margate or visit a loved one in a rehab center in the city.
- Margate is roughly a 45-minute car ride from Miami.
- Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood airport, which is about 13 miles from Margate, is the closest airport; however, you can fly out of the Miami International Airport and West Palm Beach airports, which are about 31 miles away.
- Amtrak offers train travel services for residents in Margate from Deerfield Beach station (eight miles away), Fort Lauderdale station (10 miles away), and Delray Beach station (17 miles away).
- You may need a car for most errands in Margate, FL.
- The city bus, taxi, Lyft, and Uber are transportation options within the Margate if you do not have a car.
- Margate Inner City Transit is a community bus service that offers free bus service within the city Monday to Friday between 7:20 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Hotel options in Margate, Florida include chain hotels like the Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, and Wyndham as well as budget-friendly options like the Royal Beach Palace Hotel, La Quinta Inn & Suites, and Comfort Inn & Suites.
- Calypso Cove Aquatic Center, Fern Forest Nature Center, Tradewinds Park and Stables, and Butterfly World are a few of the fun places to explore during your stay in Margate.
- Florida Department of Health. (n.d.). Overdoses.
- A United Front in Our Fight Against Fentanyl. (n.d.) Sheriffs.Org.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). 2016 -2018 NSDUH Substate Region Estimates – Tables.