Alcohol and Drug Abuse Statistics in Fort Myers, FL
The following statistics demonstrate recent substance abuse trends in Lee County, FL:2,3,4
2% of middle school and high school students reported using alcohol in the past month.
6% of middle school and high school students reported binge drinking in the past month.
5% of middle and high school students reported using marijuana in the past month.
Less than 1% of middle and high school students reported using cocaine in the past month.
- Since 2020, the sheriff’s office has seen a 478% increase in the amount of cocaine they have seized.
- Since 2020, the sheriff’s office has seen a 265% increase in the amount of fentanyl they have seized.
Fort Myers, FL Local Information: Transportation and Attractions
If you’ll be traveling to Fort Myers, FL for rehab treatment or to visit someone who is in treatment, here are a few tips to guide your travel plans.
- Fort Myers, FL offers an abundance of hotels and rental homes, from low-end to luxury budgets.
- LeeTran, the Fort Myers bus system, offers routes in the city and the surrounding area.
- The Fort Myers Beach Trolley runs from Beach Park to Lovers Key State Park.
- There is a free daily beach tram that runs from Bowditch Point to Matanzas Pass Preserve.
- Southwest Florida International Airport is located in Fort Myers and serves over a dozen airlines.
- *In September 2022, Hurricane Ian hit Fort Myers and the surrounding area, with severe impact. Due to devastation from the hurricane, some businesses or public services may not be available until 2023 or later.
- Chavez, C. (2022, March 1). Drug treatment center says fentanyl addiction growing, as Lee Co. expands narcotics unit. FOX 4 News Fort Myers WFTX. https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-news/drug-treatment-center-says-fentanyl-addiction-growing-as-lee-county-sheriffs-office-expands-narcotics-unit
- Lee County Quarterly Overdose Report. (2022). Florida Health. https://lee.floridahealth.gov/_files/_documents/QuarterlyLeeCountyQ4-2021OverdoseReport.pdf
- 2020 Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey Past-30-Day Use of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs: Lee County Report. (2020). Florida Department of Children and Families. https://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/samh/prevention/fysas/2020/docs/county-reports/Lee.pdf
- Carrillo, K. (2022, March 4). Lee County pays to expand sheriff’s narcotics unit. WGCU. https://news.wgcu.org/2022-03-04/lee-county-pays-to-expand-sheriffs-narcotics-unit