Drug and Alcohol Stats in Albany, NY
The following statistics provide an overview of substance abuse in Albany County and how it is affecting the local population:3,4,5
The opioid overdose mortality rate per 100,000 people was 9.6 in 2016.
In 2017, the buprenorphine prescribing rate for substance use disorder was 48.9 per 100,000 population.
In 2016, the rate of emergency department visits including any opioid overdose was 45.5 per 100,000 population.
The rate of newborns with neonatal withdrawal syndrome or affected by maternal use of drugs was 11.9 per 100,000 population in 2016.
- In 2017, the rate of overdose deaths involving any opioid was 13 per 100,000 population.
- In 2016, the rate of overdose deaths involving any opioid was 8 per 100,000 population.
- The rate of hospital discharges involving heroin overdose in 2017 was 3 per 100,000 population.
- The rate of hospital discharges involving heroin overdose in 2016 was 4 per 100,000 population.
Albany Local Information: Getting There and Getting Around
As the proud capital of New York since 1797, the city is one of the oldest in North America and has long been known for its diverse cultures and historical architecture.
Situated amidst such economic powerhouses of the northeast as New York City, Montreal, and Boston, Albany is known as the anchor of New York’s Tech Valley and as a center for railroads, banking, and international trade. Its proximity to the coastline and majestic mountain ranges adds further appeal to Albany’s premium location. Plus, the city offers a host of entertainment, dining, and cultural centers that attract people from throughout the region.
Albany is also known for producing leading politicians and culture-changing innovations. Four New York state governors went on to become President of the United States, and the electric motor, telegraph, and celluloid plastic were all developed in Albany.
If you’ll be traveling to Albany, NY for substance abuse treatment or to visit someone who is receiving treatment, use the following tips to guide your travels.
- If you’ll be visiting Albany in winter, be prepared for average highs of 14°F and an average of 52 inches of snow per year.
- Albany International Airport is located in Albany and serves multiple major airlines.
- Many major hotel chains are available with room rates between $100 and $150 per night.
- Accommodations near the airport include Crowne Plaza Albany and Microtel Inn.
- Albany offers a city bus system for local transportation and a downtown Greyhound terminal for longer-distance travel.
- Popular day trips from Albany include Hudson, NY, Lenox, MA, Cooperstown, NY, and Catskills Scenic Trail in Delaware County.
- Top sight-seeing stops in Albany include the New York State Museum, the New York State Capitol, the Albany Institute of History & Art.
- To escape the concrete jungle, check out these green spaces in Albany: Albany Pine Bush Preserve, Washington Park, and Six Mile Waterworks Park.
- Locals in the Albany metro area typically consider the northeast part of the area to be the safest.
- The most walkable Albany neighborhoods are Downtown, Central Avenue, and Center Square.
- Rey, M. D. (2022, February 7). Report says New York was 4th in fentanyl deaths last year. Times Union.https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/New-York-4th-in-fentanyl-deaths-last-year-16836094.php
- Center, K. (2019, January 18). release: Sheriff apple and community partners announce expansion of treatment resources in albany county jail. Katal Center for Equity, Health, and Justice. https://katalcenter.org/release_albany_mat_expansion/
- Drug rehab centers in AlbaNY, NY – Bedrock. (2022, September 22). Bedrock Recovery Center. https://bedrockrecoverycenter.com/new-york/albany/
- Healthy Capital District Initiative. (2019). 2019 Capital Region Health Assessment. https://www.albanycounty.com/home/showpublisheddocument/3336/637176338131100000
- New York State Department of Health. (2019). New York State opioid annual report 2019. https://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/opioid/data/pdf/nys_opioid_annual_report_2019.pdf