Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Berwyn, Illinois
Opioid misuse has impacted Cook County and the rest of the nation severely. Unfortunately, most people still don’t realize the dangers of opioid misuse, so here’s a look at opioid misuse through the lens of statistics for Cook County:2, 3
The overdose rate for men in Cook County in 2020 was 2.8 times higher than for women.
In 2020, opioid-related deaths reached their highest rate for the age group of 35 to 44 years old. The number of deaths during this time increased by 43%.
Cook County also saw an increase in methadone-related deaths that were, on average, 2.5 times higher than the national average. They were also shown to have increased by 29% from the previous year.
Traveling to and Within Berwyn, Illinois
Berwyn is known for its collection of Chicago-style bungalows—and the fact that it appears to be nothing like a suburb. Berwyn was also once the fastest-growing area in the 1920s, and today it’s a town filled with world-class cuisine, grassroots art initiatives, bustling street festivals, live music, and much more.
Whether you’re visiting a loved one getting help for their addiction in the area or are attending a drug and alcohol rehab in Berwyn, you’ll need to make the appropriate travel arrangements.
Here’s what you can expect when it comes to getting to and getting around Berwyn:
- The Chicago Midway International Airport is only six miles away from Berwyn.
- Berwyn is serviced by Metra for its public transportation, which includes buses and a metro rail. Taxis, Uber, and Lyft are also widely available throughout the city, as are private car services and car rental options.
- There are tons of hotels in and around Berwyn to suit all budgets and needs.
- Berwyn is considered a very walkable suburb, especially its vibrant city center. However, depending on what you plan to do while there, you may need to arrange for transportation.
- While you’re here, you’ll want to check out some of Berwyn’s top attractions, which include the Frank Lloyd Wright Home Studio, the Brookfield Zoo, the Ernest Hemingway Birthplace Museum, the Berwyn Cultural Center, Columbus Park, and more.
- Illinois Department of Human Services. (n.d.). The Opioid Crisis in Illinois: Data and the State’s Response. https://www.dhs.state.il.us/OneNetLibrary/27896/documents/The_Opioid_Crisis_in_Illinois.pdf.
- Cook County Government. (2022, January 26). Cook County Opioid OVerdoses for 2021 Set to Surpass 2020 Numbers. https://www.cookcountyil.gov/news/cook-county-opioid-overdoses-2021-set-surpass-2020-numbers.
- Cook County Public Health. (2022, June). Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths in Cook County, IL. (2020). https://cookcountypublichealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2020-Opioid-Joint-Report-Cook-County_final.pdf.