Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Normal, IL
Notable alcohol- and drug-use statistics for Normal and McClean County, Illinois, include:1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
McLean County saw an 83% increase in alcohol-induced deaths from 2019 to 2020.
Roughly 32% of driving deaths in McLean County involved alcohol-impaired drivers in 2021.
Approximately 21% of McLean County adults said they drank excessively in 2021.
Traveling to and Within Normal, IL
Whether you’re traveling to Normal for rehab or to visit a loved one who’s staying in a local addiction treatment center, these trip-planning tips may be helpful:
- Your best option for flights is Central Illinois Regional Airport at Bloomington-Normal, which sits roughly seven miles northwest of the city. You can drive between the two in 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic.
- If you plan on driving, Normal offers quick access to several major transit routes, including Interstates 39, 55, and 74. U.S. Routes 51 and 150 are also easily accessible from the city.
- The city of Normal has just a handful of lodging options, but you’ll find several more 2- and 3-star national-chain hotels and motels in Bloomington — just a six-minute drive south.
- Although Normal boasts several miles of walking trails, most of the city isn’t highly walkable. If you want to get around efficiently, you’ll need a bicycle or some form of vehicle transportation.
- Connect Transit serves the greater Bloomington-Normal area and offers 16 fixed bus routes that can take you throughout both cities. Service is not available on major holidays.
- The overall crime rate in Normal is roughly one-half the U.S. average rate, and most areas of the city are safe to walk around in.
- If you enjoy getting outdoors, check out the Constitution Trail, Genevieve Green Gardens, and Miller Park Zoo.
- Must-see local attractions include the McLean County Museum of History, Illinois State University Planetarium, Illinois State University Galleries, Uptown Normal, and the Illinois Symphony Orchestra.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. CDC Wonder Online Database. (2021). Underlying Cause of Death, 1999-2020 Results, Deaths occurring through 2020.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). FindTreatment.gov.
- Illinois Department of Public Health. (2021, August). Statewide Semiannual Opioid Report.
- McLean County Board. (2022). McLean County Mental Health Action Plan, 2022 Update.
- Illinois Department of Public Health. (n.d.). Opioid Data Dashboard.
- McLean County Health Department. (2016). Community Health Needs Assessment, McLean County/Illinois 2016.
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. (2021). County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, McLean, IL.