Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Greenville, SC
Like much of the United States, Greenville, and the surrounding Greenville County have been affected by substance abuse. Here is some data related to drug and alcohol misuse in Greenville County:2, 3
Approximately 5% of adults reported excessive drinking in Greenville County in 2020.
There were over 870 alcohol-related hospitalizations in 2020.
There were 534 Emergency Department visits for opioid-involved overdoses in 2020.
In 2020, 21 drivers killed in motor vehicle accidents had blood alcohol levels above .08.
Levels of Care for Substance Abuse
Compare available levels of substance addiction treatment to figure out the right one for you.
Professional Alcohol and Drug Detox
You receive withdrawal medications, medical care, and counseling to help you go through distressing withdrawal symptoms.
You receive 24/7 therapy, care, and supervision in a structured treatment environment, free from everyday stressors and triggers.
Day Treatment Programs
Day treatment, also known as partial hospitalization, includes several hours of treatment per day, for five to seven days per week.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs)
Intensive outpatient includes a few hours of therapy per day, for three to five days per week.
Standard outpatient, which is often used as continuing care, involves receiving two to four hours of therapy per week.
Recovery is a lifelong journey—once you complete rehab, you’ll want to continue receiving support, such as individual therapy, support groups, or family therapy.
Paying for Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Greenville
Cost doesn’t have to be a barrier to quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Here are a few ways to get low-cost or free addiction treatment.
You can pay for drug and alcohol rehab in South Carolina by using your private health insurance. Your plan will cover some or all of treatment, depending on the treatment setting and level of care.
South Carolina Medicaid: Healthy Blue of South Carolina
If you are a low-income resident of South Carolina, you are eligible for South Carolina Medicaid, also called Healthy Blue of South Carolina. You can use Medicaid to pay for drug and alcohol treatment.
South Carolina Medicare
If you are 65 or older or have end-stage renal disease, you are eligible for South Carolina Medicare, which covers addiction treatment services.
Sliding Scale Payment Options
Sliding scale rehab programs increase access to drug and alcohol treatment by offering a reduced price depending on a person’s income.
TRICARE in South Carolina
If you are a veteran or active-duty military personnel, you’re eligible for TRICARE, which you can use to pay for substance abuse treatment, such as outpatient and inpatient rehab.
IHS-Funded Drug Rehabs
If you are an Indigenous person struggling with addiction, you can seek free treatment services at a rehab funded by the Indian Health Service.
Traveling to and Within Greenville, SC
You may be considering a Greenville rehab, or you want to know more about detox. Whether you are interested in inpatient or outpatient rehab, Greenville has many options to choose from. Greenville also has free rehab options if you cannot pay for rehab.
If you are narrowing down your options for alcohol or drug rehab in Greenville, then you may want more information about the city of Greenville. You may also have a loved attending rehab in Greenville who you wish to visit. This information about Greenville will help you enjoy your travel:
- If flying into Greenville, the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport is the closest airport to the city, as it is only 15 minutes away from the downtown area.
- Greenville has a wide range of motel and hotel accommodations that will suit any budget.
- Greenville is a car-dependent city, so arranging for your own transportation before arrival may be best.
- Although many parts of the city require a car, the downtown Main Street is walkable and has many unique restaurants, shops, and public art to enjoy.
- To get a taste of natural beauty, you can visit the many waterfalls like Raven Cliff, Rainbow, and Falls Creek Falls in the area.
- Explore many different theaters and entertainment venues like the Peace Center, Centre Stage, and The Warehouse.
- If you enjoy sports, you can catch a game of soccer with local Greenville teams like the Greenville Liberty. Hockey, baseball, and college games are also available to entertain you throughout the city.
- Greenville is home to a number of different lakes with activities ranging from swimming and boating to fishing and diving.
South Carolina Alcohol and Drug Laws
Here are some important South Carolina substance abuse laws::1
South Carolina Naloxone Access Law: Residents of South Carolina can buy naloxone from a pharmacy without a prescription.
South Carolina Good Samaritan Law: If you witness an overdose and call 911, you are granted limited immunity from arrest and prosecution for drug possession.
South Carolina Drug Court Program: Nonviolent offenders have the opportunity to attend drug and alcohol rehab instead of serving jail time.
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. (2022). County Health Rankings and Roadmaps: Sounth Carolina-Greenville County.
- State Epidemiological Outcomes Workgroup. (2020). 2020 South Carolina County-Level Profiles on Substance Use-Related Indicators.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (2020). Persons Killed by State-South Carolina.