Drug and Alcohol Statistics in Lake Charles, LA
In 2018, 2.4% of 12th grade students in Calcasieu Parish reported using stimulants in the past 30 days.1
There were 78 overdose deaths in Calcasieu Parish during the 12-month period ending March, 2022.3
In 2020, the opioid dispensing rate in Calcasieu Parish was 59.4 per 100 persons.4
The rate of drug-related crime in Lake Charles is 1.61 per 1,000 residents per year.5
Levels of Substance Abuse Care
Compare various levels of substance abuse treatment, such as inpatient, outpatient, and more.
Professional drug detox helps alleviate withdrawal symptoms and keep you safe and comfortable while substances leave your body.
Inpatient Drug and Alcohol Rehab
You live at the treatment facility for the duration of the program, ranging from 30 to 90 days, providing you with a high level of care and support.
Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs)
Also known as day treatment programs, PHPs offer a high level of care while allowing you to live at home.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs)
IOPs involve attending treatment for a few hours each day for between three and five days per week. This option offers more flexibility than a PHP.
The least intensive but most flexible option, standard outpatient, involves a low frequency of therapy throughout the week, which may be best for someone with a mild addiction and strong support system.
Recovery is a lifelong process that doesn’t end when you leave rehab. After rehab, you should receive ongoing support that works for you, such as support group meetings or family therapy.
How to Pay for Drug Rehab in Lake Charles, Louisiana
Cost shouldn’t be a barrier to getting the treatment you need to recover from drug and alcohol addiction. There are many options for reducing the cost of care.
Health insurance providers are required to cover addiction treatment services to the extent they cover medical and surgical care. As such, your plan should provide at least partial, if not full, coverage for rehab.
Louisiana Medicaid is a government health insurance program providing coverage to low-income individuals and families, and you can use it to pay for drug and alcohol rehab.
Louisiana Medicare is a federal health insurance program providing coverage for people 65 and over as well as those with end-stage renal disease. It covers substance abuse treatment services, including hospital and inpatient stays, outpatient rehab, and addiction treatment medications.
Sliding Scale Rehabs
These rehab centers are able to offer discounted drug abuse treatment depending on a person’s income and financial situation.
TRICARE in Louisiana
TRICARE provides health insurance coverage for those in the military, veterans, and dependents. This government program covers the cost of drug and alcohol treatment services.
IHS-Funded Drug Rehabs
The Indian Health Service is a federal health program for Indigenous people in the U.S. that provides mental health, medical, and addiction treatment. Rehab centers funded by the IHS provide no-cost treatment to Native peoples.
Getting to and Around Lake Charles, LA
If you are making travel plans for addiction treatment in Lake Charles, LA, or will be visiting a loved one undergoing treatment at a Lake Charles drug and alcohol rehab, here are some valuable tips.
- The closest airport is Lake Charles Airport, but additional flight options are available at Lafayette (73 miles away) and Baton Rouge (125 miles away).
- Lake Charles is home to more than a dozen hotels, offering a variety of price points to meet the needs of most budgets.
- The Department of Public Works Transit Division offers bus transportation in Lake Charles. Five fixed routes operate M-F 5:45am-5:45pm, except holidays. Fares are $1.00 ($0.50 for seniors/$0.25 for disabled).
- Lake Charles is not considered bikeable or walkable, but rideshare services (Uber/Lyft) are available to get around the city by car.
- Lake Charles is in a very high-risk hurricane zone and has experienced 48 hurricanes since 1930. Hurricane season lasts from June 1 through November 30.
- Attractions in Lake Charles include the Mardi Gras Museum, Historic City Hall Arts Cultural Center, and the lake’s white-sand beach.
Louisiana Drug and Alcohol Laws
Below are some drug and alcohol laws that have been passed in Louisiana:1
Louisiana Good Samaritan Overdose Law: This law protects witnesses and victims of overdoses from prosecution for drug possession if they call 911 to get medical help.
Act 10: This law ensures that methadone is covered by Medicaid in Louisiana.
HR291 Treatment System Transformation Initiative: This law pushes the Department of Health to create a plan to increase community-based providers for opioid addiction
- Harrison, B. (n.d.). 2018 Louisiana Caring Communities Youth Survey. Louisiana Department of Health. https://picardcenter.louisiana.edu/sites/picardcenter/files/Calcasieu%20Parish%20Profile%20Report.pdf
- Team, K. D. (2022, January 12). Police: $1 million in illegal drugs, commercial-grade pill press seized in Louisiana. WIS News 10. https://www.wistv.com/2022/01/12/police-1-million-illegal-drugs-commercial-grade-pill-press-seized-louisiana/
- Provisional County drug overdose deaths. (2022, October 11). https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/prov-county-drug-overdose.htm
- S. County Opioid Dispensing Rates, 2020. (2022, October 7). CDC Injury Center. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/rxrate-maps/county2020.html
- LAke Charles, LA drug-reLAted crime rates and maps. (n.d.). CrimeGrade.Org. Retrieved December 19, 2022, from https://crimegrade.org/drug-crimes-lake-charles-la/
- Team, K. D. (2022, January 12). Sheriff: Commercial-grade pill press, $1 million in illegal drugs seized. KPLC. https://www.kplctv.com/2022/01/12/calcasieu-sheriffs-office-hold-press-conference-narcotics-arrest-today/