Substance Abuse Statistics in Carson City, NV
Substance abuse reports compiled by the University of Nevada, the CDC, and the State of Nevada highlight the following alcohol- and drug-use statistics for Carson City:1,3,4,5
Carson City’s opioid-involved death rate is 46% higher than Nevada’s overall rate. The city’s 89701 zip code’s opioid-involved death rate is nearly 155% higher than the state’s.
Nearly 19% of Carson City adult residents engage in binge drinking behavior regularly.
Traveling to and Within Carson City, NV
If you’re traveling to Carson City for treatment or to visit a loved one who’s working through recovery, here’s what you should know to plan your trip:6, 7, 8
- You can fly into Carson City Airport, which sits just three miles northeast of the city’s downtown. If you’d prefer a larger airport, Reno-Tahoe International Airport is a 30-minute drive north of town.
- Interstate 580 and U.S. Routes 50 and 395 pass directly through Carson City.
- Carson City has dozens of 2- and 3-star national-chain hotels and motels, as well as several non-branded lodging establishments and short-term rental options.
- Carson City is somewhat walkable and bikeable, but you’ll likely need a car to get around the area efficiently.
- Carson City’s public transportation system, Jump Around Carson, operates four fixed bus routes that travel throughout the city. Buses run Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- If you’re looking to enjoy yourself outdoors, you’ll have plenty of options for doing so. Lake Tahoe borders the city, and Genoa Peak, Mount Siegel, and Lyon Peak are just a short drive away. The city is also home to a couple of dozen public parks and several trails for walking and biking.
- Popular local attractions include the Nevada State Museum, the Nevada State Railroad Museum, the Nevada State Capitol Building, Kings Canyon Waterfalls, the Brewery Arts Center, and the Jack C. David Observatory.
Are you having trouble finding the right drug or alcohol rehab in Carson City for yourself or someone you love? If so, we’re standing by to help. Please call our 24/7, free helpline at 800-926-9037 (Who Answers?) to chat with a specialist who can help you assess your local addiction treatment options.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. CDC Wonder Online Database. (2021). Underlying Cause of Death, 1999-2020 Results, Deaths occurring through 2020.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). FindTreatment.gov.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). PLACES: Local Data for Better Health, Place Data 2022 Release.
- Blin, Andrea. (2017). Addiction and Substance Abuse in Nevada. The Social Health of Nevada: Leading Indicators and Quality of Life in the Silver State. UNLV Center for Democratic Culture.
- Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, Southern Nevada Health District. (n.d.). Nevada Opioid Overdose Surveillance Dashboard.
- Carson City, Nevada. (n.d.). Routes & Schedules.
- Carson City, Nevada. (n.d.). Regional and Neighborhood Parks.
- Carson City, Nevada. (n.d.). Carson City Trail System.