Addiction Treatment

Is Divorce the ONLY Answer to Your Spouse’s Addiction?

Call 800-926-9037 to speak with an alcohol or drug abuse counselor. Who Answers?

Last updated: 09/17/2018
Author: Medical Review

Reading Time: 3 minutes

If you have a partner who suffers from a serious substance abuse problem that has led to addiction, the impact can be heartbreaking and devastating on your relationship. But is divorce the ONLY answer you have to the problem? Both of you have suffered the consequences of the addiction, both of you have said what you need to say, both of you have made threats and even considered leaving as a result of the addictive tendencies and behaviors. Now what?

At one point, it may seem as though divorce is the only answer when a spouse is an addict. For the non-drug or alcohol abusing spouse, the addiction may seem like an excuse: Why can’t you just quit so that we can move on with our lives?

For the addict, the addiction is a stronghold that can’t easily be overcome. He or she may think, “I wish I could quit…I’ll show you!” But in reality, it’s never as easy as it may seem—not to either of the people involved.

What about Divorce?

Divorce the ONLY Answer

Addiction often does lead to divorce, but it doesn’t have to.

The easy answer after years of substance abuse and coping with an addicted loved one may seem like divorce. Something that was not even a considerable option when the marriage vows were stated, now seems like an inevitable option because both you and your spouse feel like there’s nothing else left to do but turn and go separate ways. But that’s not true!

Treatment can Help

If you have a spouse who is addicted to drugs or alcohol, consider treatment. Family or relationship therapy should play a major role in the treatment that is received. The addict will require treatment to help him or her cope with and overcome the substance abuse. You will require treatment to help you learn how to deal with the changes that come when your loved one is no longer and addict, and also to help you cope with past trauma or abuse which may have occurred by your spouse as a result of his or her addiction.

Make an Ultimatum

If your spouse won’t consider treatment, it’s time to put your foot down. Make an ultimatum: Treatment or Divorce. Either your spouse will go into treatment where both you and the partner can receive counseling and therapy, or the spouse will be served with divorce papers and your relationship will end. While this seems so harsh, such intervention is often necessary to help an addict realize that his or her problems truly are that bad and truly do require professional help.

Consider couples counseling, NA or AA, and Al-anon or similar support groups that are meant to help the family members of those addicted. If you require further assistance, call our helpline for support and answers. We can even provide a free treatment referral that will help you or your loved one get sober.

How Our Helpline Works

For those seeking addiction treatment for themselves or a loved one, the helpline is a private and convenient solution.

Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) for your visit will be answered by American Addiction Centers (AAC).

We are standing by 24/7 to discuss your treatment options. Our representatives work solely for AAC and will discuss whether an AAC facility may be an option for you. Our helpline is offered at no cost to you and with no obligation to enter into treatment. Neither nor AAC receives any commission or other fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a visitor may ultimately choose.

For more information on AAC’s commitment to ethical marketing and treatment practices, or to learn more about how to select a treatment provider, visit our About AAC page. If you wish to explore additional treatment options or connect with a specific rehab center, you can browse top-rated listings or visit SAMHSA.

I NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOWI NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOW 800-926-9037Response time about 1 min | Response rate 100%
Who Answers?