Substance Abuse Statistics in Casper WY
Overall rates of substance use in Casper and surrounding areas are relatively low compared to national averages. But the region still faces rising rates of drug and alcohol use as well as drug-related hospitalizations and deaths. Here are a few more recent statistics about drug and alcohol issues in Casper and Natrona County:2, 3, 4
Between 2019 and 2020, the number of statewide overdose deaths due to synthetic opioids jumped from 17 to 42.
Between 2016 and 2018, 21% of hospitalizations were opioid-related, while another 22% were due to other non-opioid pain medications.
The largest overdose rate occurred among older teens between 15 and 19.
Local Info: Visiting Casper, WY
If you’re looking for alcohol and drug rehab in Casper and Natrona County, or if you’re supporting a friend or loved one who’s receiving treatment at a drug and alcohol rehab in the area, you may want to know some facts about traveling to Casper and amenities available in the area:5
- Casper is a busy city with plenty of cultural venues, restaurants, and outdoor attractions, including Fort Casper, a reconstructed Army post from 1865.
- The city is home to the Nicolaysen Art Museum and the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center as well as numerous theater and art venues.
- Casper can be reached via Interstate 25 from the North and East.
- Casper is served by the Casper-Natrona County International Airport, just west of the city.
- The city has a full-service public transport system, with routes running every day from key locations throughout Casper.
- Casper has more than 30 hotels and motels, including most major national chains such as La Quinta and Days Inn.
- Department of Public Health, Wyoming. (2019). Drug Overdose Dashboard.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). National Center for Health Statistics: Wyoming.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2019). 2018-2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. National Maps of Prevalence Estimates, by State.
- Tufts University School of Medicine and Wyoming Department of Health. (2021). Opioid Vulnerability Assessment.
- City of Casper, Wyoming. (n.d.). About Casper Wyoming.