Substance Abuse Statistics in Kingsport, TN
Kingsport is no exception to the steadily increasing rates of overdose deaths across the United States since 1999.1 Tennessee’s rate of drug poisoning from 2006 to 2012 was 16 deaths per 100,000.1 Then, Sullivan County continued to increase to 20 deaths per 100,000 people in 2014.1 Additional drug and alcohol statistics concerning Kingsport include:1, 2, 3
The number of adults admitted to treatment facilities in Sullivan County was higher than all the surrounding counties at over 500 admissions in 2013.
80% of crimes in Tennessee are related to drug use.
Getting to and Around Kingsport, TN
Traveling to Kingsport, TN, for your own health or to visit a loved one can be an easy trip. To make sure your planning goes as smoothly as possible, the following tips are available to help.
- The nearest airport is Blountville Tri Cities TN/CA (TRI), which is just under 10 miles away from Kingsport. The next closest is Asheville (AVL), which is 77 miles away.
- Depending on your budget, there are hotels, motels, and private rentals available, ranging from Motel 6 to the Meadowview Marriott Conference Resort & Convention Center.
- Surrounded by natural beauty, Kingsport makes enjoying the outdoors easy. Kingsport Greenbelt, Fort Patrick Henry Lake, Warriors Path State Park, and Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium are all available to enjoy some fresh air with many free options.
- Getting around without a car is easy with taxi services, Uber, Lyft, and other rideshares available throughout the city and surrounding areas.
- Kingsport Area Transit Service is also available to help you get around by bus. Call 423-224-2613 for schedule and route information during their business hours, M-F, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- If there’s anything you forgot when packing or just want to do some shopping, Fort Henry Mall or Kingsport Pavilion on Shopping Center are available in Kingsport to meet your needs.
- Alford, E., Leinaar, E., May, A.S., Mayes, G., McGee, A., & Mullins, H. (2017). 2016 Sullivan County Community Health Assessment. Sullivan County Regional Health Department. Blountville, TN.
- East Tennessee State University Academic Health Sciences Center. (2014). Substance abuse services Sullivan County.
- Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. (n.d.). Current drug trends.