Drug and Alcohol Statistics in Rapid City
Below are some eye-opening stats related to drug abuse and overdose deaths in Rapid City and Pennington County:2,3,4
About 42% of Rapid City residents engage in problem drinking
Approximately 11% of Rapid City residents have severe alcohol abuse
About 7% of Rapid City residents use marijuana
Levels of Care for Substance Abuse
Compare available levels of substance addiction treatment to figure out the right one for you.
Professional Alcohol and Drug Detox
You receive withdrawal medications, medical care, and counseling to help you go through distressing withdrawal symptoms.
You receive 24/7 therapy, care, and supervision in a structured treatment environment, free from everyday stressors and triggers.
Day Treatment Programs
Day treatment, also known as partial hospitalization, includes several hours of treatment per day, for five to seven days per week.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs)
Intensive outpatient includes a few hours of therapy per day, for three to five days per week.
Standard outpatient, which is often used as continuing care, involves receiving two to four hours of therapy per week.
Recovery is a lifelong journey—once you complete rehab, you’ll want to continue receiving support, such as individual therapy, support groups, or family therapy.
Paying for Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Rapid City
Cost doesn’t have to be a barrier to quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Here are a few ways to get low-cost or free addiction treatment.
You can pay for drug and alcohol rehab in South Carolina by using your private health insurance. Your plan will cover some or all of treatment, depending on the treatment setting and level of care.
South Carolina Medicaid: Healthy Blue of South Carolina
If you are a low-income resident of South Carolina, you are eligible for South Carolina Medicaid, also called Healthy Blue of South Carolina. You can use Medicaid to pay for drug and alcohol treatment.
South Carolina Medicare
If you are 65 or older or have end-stage renal disease, you are eligible for South Carolina Medicare, which covers addiction treatment services.
Sliding Scale Payment Options
Sliding scale rehab programs increase access to drug and alcohol treatment by offering a reduced price depending on a person’s income.
TRICARE in South Carolina
If you are a veteran or active-duty military personnel, you’re eligible for TRICARE, which you can use to pay for substance abuse treatment, such as outpatient and inpatient rehab.
IHS-Funded Drug Rehabs
If you are an Indigenous person struggling with addiction, you can seek free treatment services at a rehab funded by the Indian Health Service.
Local Information for Visiting Rapid City, South Dakota
Rapid City is considered the gateway to Mt. Rushmore. It also has access to tons of fun attractions, both indoor and outdoor. If you are planning to attend drug and alcohol rehab in Rapid City, or you are planning your trip to visit a loved one there, you’ll want to know the best way to get there, get around, and what to do once you’re there. Here’s what you need to know:
- The closest regional airport to Rapid City is the Rapid City Regional Airport
- If you are having trouble finding affordable flights into Rapid City, other nearby airports include Chadron and Gillette
- Rapid City has a city trolley you can take to explore the city
- There is also a Rapid Transit System in which you can travel by bus
- You can even get around using the Black Hills Buggies
- Otherwise, you might want to rent a car or use rideshare services like Uber and Lyft
- Not all of Rapid City is walkable but the downtown area certainly is
- While in Rapid City, you’ll want to be sure to check out Mount Rushmore
- Enjoy the outdoors at Custer State Park, which has gorgeous views, nice nature walks, and opportunities to see wildlife like bighorn sheep, elks, mountain goats, prairie dogs, river otters, and more
- Spend a day driving through Badlands National Park, which boasts beautiful buttes and views
- Visit the South Dakota Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Geology
- Visit the lush oasis of the Reptile Gardens
- Go on an ATV tour through Black Hills National Forest
- Enjoy some golf and sunshine at the Golf Club at Red Rock
- Have some family fun at Storybook Island, which is a free children’s amusement park
South Carolina Alcohol and Drug Laws
Here are some important South Carolina substance abuse laws::1
South Carolina Naloxone Access Law: Residents of South Carolina can buy naloxone from a pharmacy without a prescription.
South Carolina Good Samaritan Law: If you witness an overdose and call 911, you are granted limited immunity from arrest and prosecution for drug possession.
South Carolina Drug Court Program: Nonviolent offenders have the opportunity to attend drug and alcohol rehab instead of serving jail time.
- South Dakota Department of Health. (n.d.). South Dakota Vulnerability Assessment.
- Trudeau, G. (2021). Our community is dealing with a pandemic, but it’s not COVID. KEVN Black Hlls FOX.
- Baer Gee, S. (2022). Fentanyl seizures soar in Pennington County. Rapid City Journal.
- Oregon Health & Science University. (n.d.). Results from the South Dakota Health Survey.