Drug and Alcohol Misuse Statistics in Erie, PA
Recent statistics indicate there is a rise in drug concerns in Erie, but support systems are available to help meet these challenges. Check out the following:3,4
Erie saw overdose incidents increase by 196% and overdose deaths increase by 400% from 2019 to 2020.
In the first 6 months of 2021, Erie experienced a 97% increase in overdose victims.
Erie, PA offers 15 free or sliding-scale treatment programs and 2 detox centers.
90 fatal overdoses were reported in Erie County in 2020.
Visiting Erie, PA and Getting Around
For those spending time in Erie for drug treatment or visiting a loved one in treatment, here are a few travel tips.
- The Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority operates 28 fixed bus routes throughout Erie County.
- A free trolley is available for exploring downtown Erie, PA.
- Erie is serviced by the Amtrak railroad station located inside the historic Union Station downtown.
- Boaters traveling to Erie by water can temporarily dock their boats in public marinas for overnight stays.
- Popular Erie tourist sites include the Erie Maritime Museum, Waldameer amusement park, Port Erie Bicentennial Tower, and Old Presque Isle Light.
- Open year-round, Presque Isle State Park offers outdoor activities including hiking, boating, fishing, and ice skating.
- For nightlife, the Boardwalk Complex Downtown is the go-to spot in Erie.
- People who live in Erie generally consider the southeast part of the city to be the safest.
- Overview. (n.d.). Pennsylvania Drug Threat Assessment. Retrieved September 23, 2022, from https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs0/670/overview.htm
- Palattella, E., & Flowers, K. (2022, May 13). 25 indicted in Erie federal court, charged with dealing cocaine, fentanyl, meth. Erie Times-News. https://www.goerie.com/story/news/crime/2022/05/13/fentanyl-cocaine-and-meth-25-indicted-in-erie-federal-case-paul-sellers/65355140007/
- Hahn, T. (2021, February 21). Erie County drug use: Aid efforts ongoing; city sees rise in overdose cases, deaths in 2020. Erie Times-News. https://www.goerie.com/story/news/local/2021/02/21/drug-deaths-erie-county-sees-rise-fatal-overdoses-2020-aid-ongoing/4386439001/
- City of erie comprehensive opioid, stimulant, and substance abuse site-based program. (n.d.). Bureau of Justice Assistance. Retrieved September 23, 2022, from https://bja.ojp.gov/funding/awards/15pbja-21-gg-04599-coap