Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Gulfport
Recent results of 2020 surveys reveal Harrison County is in the top three Mississippi locations with the biggest substance use problems. It is the county with the third largest number of overdoses, just below Jackson and Hinds.1 The statistics below show Gulfport and the surrounding areas facing a huge battle.
1,620 emergency room overdoses for all drugs1
281 Naloxone administrations by emergency medical staff1
73 adults hospitalized for substance use disorders2
47.7% of adults report misusing alcohol in the last 30 days2
Although Gulfport has its share of drug and alcohol misuse, it also has numerous treatment opportunities in drug and alcohol rehabs in Harrison County. The coast can be a great place to get a fresh start in recovery.
Leaders of drug rehabs in Gulfport and Harrison County are also working hard to resolve these issues. They are expanding drug and alcohol rehabs in Harrison County at low or no cost to ensure everyone can receive the help they need. Mississippi state grants help cover inpatient and outpatient Gulfport drug rehab costs.
Traveling to and Within Gulfport
Gulfport is a tourist town with a deep history dating back to indigenous groups such as the Choctaw. Today Gulfport is home to over 70,000 residents.
Whether you are planning to enter a Gulfport drug rehab or visit with a loved one receiving treatment, Gulfport is easily accessible. The following transportation options exist in Harrison County:3
- Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport is five miles from the center of Gulfport
- Highways 90, 40, and I10 are major roadways with quick access to Alabama and Louisiana
- Private transportation options include
- Rental cars
- Limousine services
- Uber and Lyft
- Coast Transit Authority has affordable public transportation bus routes
Searching for a place to stay in Gulfport is easy, and with the following options:
- Lodging options include
- Hotels and motels
- Cottage rentals
- Beach resorts
- Bed & Breakfasts and Inns
- Air BnB and VRBO
- RV parks and campgrounds
You can fill your spare time with activities that support recovery, including:
- Off-shore fishing
- Boutique shopping
- Boat excursions
- Adventure parks
- Wellness spas
- Concerts and festivals
- Historical tours
- Support groups like AA, NA, and Alateen
- The Mississippi Opioid and Heroin Data Collective. 2021. Provisional Data Report Calendar Year 2020.
- Mississippi State University. 2021. Head-Start Early Head-Start Community Needs Assessment.