Substance Abuse Statistics in Novi, Michigan
Novi, a suburb of Detroit, is located in Oakland County, which is part of the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn metropolitan statistical area. The following statistics for the region illustrate the extent and impact of overdose and substance misuse in the area. The estimated cost of substance abuse is about $925 million each year.1, 2
- About 200,000 residents received opioid prescriptions in 2018.
- About 2,800 residents visited emergency departments for an overdose in 2020.
- Eight percent of residents who visited the emergency department for overdose in 2020–2021 were between 10 and 19 years old.
- Close to 60% of residents 12 and older reported alcohol use in the past month between 2016 and 2018.
- Less than 1% of residents 12 and older reported heroin use in the past year between 2016 and 2018.
- Nearly 17% of residents 12 and older reported marijuana use in the past year between 2016 and 2018.
- Close to 2% of residents 12 and older reported cocaine use in the past month between 2016 and 2018.
Local Information: Everything to Know About Novi, Michigan
The following tips may be valuable when planning a visit to a loved one in rehab in Novi, MI or if you are considering drug or alcohol rehab in the area:
- Airport options for traveling to and from Novi include the Detroit Airport (19.9 miles), Windsor Airport (30.4 miles), and Flint Airport (36.8 miles).
- Greyhound offers bus services between Novi, MI, and other cities in Michigan, such as Grand Rapids, as well as distant places like Chicago.
- SMART bus offers bus transportation within the Detroit metropolitan area, including Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. You can connect to the Greyhound station, Amtrak, and Detroit Airport using the SMART bus system.
- A $2.00 Dart 4-hour pass provides unlimited rides on SMART in all directions
- Novi is somewhat walkable, so you may be able to complete some of your errands on foot.
- Direct access to I-96, M-5, I-275, and I-696 from Novi, MI, makes travel by car in and out of the city less of a hassle.
- Twelve Oaks Mall offers shopping and dining in the largest shopping center in metro Detroit, with more than 200 shops and eateries.
- Tourist attractions in Novi include the Escape Room in Novi, Emagine Theatres Novi, Suburban Collection Showplace, Novi Town Center, and WhirlyBall.
- There are numerous hotels, including Hilton Garden Inn, Staybridge Suites Detroit – Novi, Hyatt Place Detroit/Novi, and Country Inn and Suites.
- City of Detroit. (2021). Detroit Overdose Surveillance 2012-2020.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). 2016 -2018 NSDUH Substate Region Estimates – Tables.