Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics in Portland, ME
The following statistics illustrate the extent and impact of overdose and substance abuse in Cumberland County:1, 2
About 2% of residents 12 and older used cocaine in the past year from 2016 to 2018.
About 66% of residents 12 and older used alcohol in the past month, from 2016 to 2018.
About 24% of residents 12 and older binged on alcohol in the past month from 2016 to 2018.
About 3% of residents 12 and older misused pain relievers in the past year from 2016 to 2018.
Traveling to and Within Maine, ME
The following tips may be useful to guide your plans for rehab in Portland, Maine, or for visiting a loved one receiving treatment in Portland.
- Fun activities in Portland, ME, include hiking and climbing in the state and national parks, sea kayaking, or paddle boarding along the coastal waterways, biking on the scenic routes, and camping under the stars.
- The best option for flying in and out of Portland is Portland International Jetport. You can choose from multiple airlines that serve this airport, including JetBlue, American Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines.
- Bangor International Airport is an alternative for flights; however, it is almost a two-hour drive from Portland.
- Some neighborhoods, such as downtown, are walkable, and you do not need a car to run errands in those neighborhoods.
- Travel options within Portland include bus and shared rides such as Lyft and Uber.
- Greater Portland METRO offers bus services within the area and has stops close to shopping centers, eateries, and hotels.
- Local trips between Westbrook, Falmouth, South Portland, Gorham, and Portland cost $2 one-way, whereas the express bus costs $4 for travel between Brunswick, Portland, Freeport, and Yarmouth.
- Options for travel down the coast include Amtrak’s Downeaster, which goes from Brunswick to Boston with several stops in between, including Freeport, Portland, Dover, Durham, and Woburn.
- Places to stay during rehab in Portland, Maine, or when visiting a friend or family member in rehab include hotels, motels, inns, and Airbnb.
- State of Maine. (2022). September 2020 Maine Monthly Overdose Report.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). 2016 -2018 NSDUH Substate Region Estimates – Tables.