Statistics for Drug and Alcohol Use in Terre Haute, IN
Situated in Indiana, many Terre Haute residents follow statewide health trends. In 2020, 18% of adults in Indiana reported binge or heavy drinking habits in the year prior to being surveyed.2 Other facts involving alcohol or drug-related behaviors and their consequences include:1,3
In Vigo County, 3.5% of motor vehicle collisions in 2020 involved alcohol.
10.8% of situations that required a child to be removed from a home in Vigo County involved alcohol in 2020.
In 2020, 23.6% of rehab admissions in Vigo County were for marijuana use disorder.
In 2014, deaths related to substance use disorder or mental health were comparable to the national average, at 8.4 per 100,000 in Vigo County and 8.2 per 100,000 nationwide.
Visiting Terre Haute, IN and the Surrounding Areas
Whether you are looking for substance use disorder help in Terre Haute or merely visiting a loved one in treatment, the city has much to offer. While planning your trip, it may help to know:
- Terre Haute is about 60 miles away from the nearest airport, which is Champaign (CMI) Airport. Likewise, the Indianapolis (IND) Airport is about 62 miles away.
- There are many options for hotels or private home rentals in Terre Haute, or you can enjoy some fresh air by camping in one of several local parks and campgrounds.
- To get the latest news on local attractions, you can visit the Terre Haute Convention and Visitors Bureau as one of your first stops in town.
- For those who love biking, the Griffin Bike Park in Terre Haute is filled with over ten trails and exciting jumps, including a floating lake trail and track specifically for kids.
- Getting around Terre Haute is easy, even if you don’t rent a car. Uber and other rideshares are available alongside Terre Haute Transit Utility (THTU) buses. But keep in mind that THTU is closed on Sundays and requires exact fare ($1.75 per ride for regular fare) or a pass upon boarding the bus.
- Terre Haute offers many art and cultural experiences. There are a variety of museums, memorials, parks, and activities. However long you are in the city, you will likely find something that sparks your interest.
- Indiana State Epidemiological Outcomes Workgroup. (2020). The Consumption and Consequences of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drugs in Indiana: A State Epidemiological Profile 2020.
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.(2020). County Health Rankings State Report 2020.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. (2016). US County Profile: Vigo County, Indiana.