According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, most addictions are debilitating but some are more devastating than others. These addictions become uncontrollable very quickly, ruining both your health and your life. They are the most devastating to you, your family, and your friends.
Alcohol is not only one of the most common addictions, it is one that devastates the user and their family. When you are on alcohol, you are capable of just about any action. Many alcoholics are abusive and violent to the people who are closest to them.
Not only are the behavioral effects damaging, it also damages the mind and body. Alcohol causes:
- liver damage
- kidney damage
- brain damage
- damage to the central nervous system
Alcohol is capable of damaging almost every system in the body with long term use.Take Back Your Life. Call The 24Hr Addiction Hotline 800-654-0987
Methamphetamine is considered to be one of the most physically destructive addictions. It causes massive wasting of the body and mind. People who use meth heavily find that:
- their appearance is sallow
- they skin is ruined
- they have no fat on their body
- sores have appeared on their face and body
- they no longer think as clearly as they once did
Much of this damage is permanent, if you do not stop using meth.
Heroin makes you stop doing everything except for obtaining and using the heroin. The dangers of this particular drug lay in its addictive qualities and secondary infections. People who use heroin find that:
- the brain loses its ability to feel pleasure without the drug
- they can no longer function without the heroin
- they suffer from hormonal imbalances
- they now suffer from a variety of mood disorders and other psychiatric complications
These issues are coupled with:
- HIV from using dirty needles or unprotected sex
- Hepatitis from dirty needles and unsanitary conditions
- bacterial or viral infections from poor nutrition and unclean injection sites
People addicted to inhalants usually are not addicted very long. Inhalants kill very quickly and cause massive damage to the brain. Some long term brain damage that are attributed to inhalant use are:
- cognitive impairment
- learning disabilities
- short term memory loss
- inability to form short term memories
- damage to the speech centers of the brain
Most people who are addicted to inhalants die from asphyxiation shortly or suffer from long term brain damage shortly after starting their addiction.Family is Forever.Get Help for Your Loved One. Call The 24Hr Addiction Hotline 800-654-0987
PCP is an extremely damaging drug particularly after long term use. It causes a variety of neurological disorders such as:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- organic dementia
- chronic hallucinations
All of these are indicative of the degeneration of neural pathways in the brain.
Find Help for Any One of These Addictions
Many of the most damaging effects of these drugs are long term but can be corrected by seeking treatment for the addiction. To find treatment just call 800-654-0987.