Causes & Signs of Drug Abuse
Although each addiction is different, there are some symptoms that almost every addiction has in common. If you need to identify addiction in yourself or others, then look for these common symptoms:
- Continuing to use even after experiencing the severe negative consequences of addiction
- Lying, stealing, or taking unneeded risks to continue using or to obtain the substance
- Secretive behavior or hiding your drug or alcohol use from friends and family
- Making certain that you maintain a certain supply of drugs or alcohol
- Mood swings or anxiety when you do not have the drugs or alcohol
There are many more signs of addiction depending on what you or your loved one is addicted to. Each of these can range in severity to very mild to deadly.
No matter what drug you or your loved one is using, there are a few common causes of substance abuse and addiction. Some of these causes are simple such as boredom, peer groups, and familial influences and others are extremely complex like co-occurring disorders, stress, and genetic predisposition. Knowing what causes addiction is as important as recognizing the signs.
In order to receive the most benefit from treatment, you have to know what is causing the addiction. It is a proven fact that if you only treat the symptoms of addiction, there is a good chance that you or your loved one will relapse back into their addictive behaviors.
While knowing the symptoms of addiction can help you identify an addict, only knowing what caused the addiction in the first place will help you treat it. Fortunately, drug rehab Missouri centers understand that treating the addiction involves treating the cause as well as the symptoms.