Reading Time: 5 minutes
Although many people claim that it is not according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, marijuana is addictive. Anything that is addictive causes problems on a variety of levels. Here are 101 reasons why pot addiction treatment should be on your agenda.
Never having to feel the Symptoms of Marijuana Current Use Again
Although many people enjoy the feelings of marijuana use, some of them can be unpleasant. These are:
- Dizziness, a symptom of using marijuana and one of its common effects.
- Dry mouth, also known as cotton mouth.
- Feeling of dehydration, almost all parts of the body that are supposed to have mucus dry when you smoke marijuana.
- Anxiety, one of the many side effects of being high on marijuana is anxiety.
- Panic attacks, panic attacks happen because of the anxiety when you use this drug.
- Paranoia, because of the way it affects you and because it is illegal it is very easy to be paranoid while smoking marijuana and remain paranoid after stopping use.
- Clouded thinking, many people experience clouded or confused thoughts.
- Confusion, another effect of marijuana.
- Coughing, smoking marijuana similar to smoking cigarettes causes you to cough.
- Getting nothing done, when some people smoke, they sit and stare at the TV and do nothing.
- Excessive fatigue, marijuana makes you tired.
- Rapid heart rate, marijuana can increase your heart rate leading to damage.
- No more bloodshot eyes.
- You no longer have to purchase eye drops so people do not know you are smoking marijuana,
- Weight gain.
Relief from the Symptoms of Long Term Use
Some of the issues with long-term use are:
- Short-term memory loss in most chronic users.
- Long-term memory loss, it also causes long term memory loss if you use it heavily.
- Depression, a symptom of withdrawal after stopping use.
- Cognitive dysfunction, marijuana causes cognitive issues in many people with long term use.
- Learning disorders, most scientists believe that early marijuana use causes learning disabilities later on.
- Behavioral disorders, again a problem with early use.
- Cognitive decline, heavy use causes issues with thinking clearly.
- Time distortion, the time distortion you experience while high sometimes becomes permanent with extended use.
- The possibility of cancer, as with anything you smoke there is a possibility of lung cancer.
- Long term mood disorders, some people develop a mood disorder as a result of their use.
- Possibility of disease or sickness, this is normally due to sharing paraphernalia.
- Apathy, many people become apathetic after smoking for a long time.
- Risk of lung infections, smoking damages the lungs which puts you at risk for COPD, Chronic Bronchitis, and other disorders.
- Permanent damage to the immune system – marijuana use weakens the immune system.
- Uncertainty, not all of the long term effects of marijuana use is known.
- Low motivation, smoking pot for a long time lowers your motivation to do things.
- Many of chronic smokers are unsuccessful in life.
- It damages your sense of smell.
- It damages your sense of taste.
- It can damage your heart.
- Damage to your skin.
Relief from the Symptoms of Marijuana Withdrawal
These symptoms are:
- Cravings for marijuana, once you stop using marijuana you do crave it.
- Withdrawal in general, contrary to popular belief, there are symptoms of withdrawal with marijuana addiction.
- Irrational anger
- Inability to feel pleasure
- Unusual sleep patterns
- Vivid dreams or nightmares
- Weight loss
Avoiding the Legal Ramifications of Marijuana Use
Being arrested for marijuana use does not just end with the arrest. Some of the consequences are:
- Marijuana is still illegal in most places.
- You can get arrested for using marijuana.
- Many people are serving jail time for marijuana use.
- Mug shots and arrest records are often published on the internet and newspaper.
- Lawyers to defend you are expensive.
- Probation is weekly and mandatory.
- The fines are huge.
- The arrest can affect you for the rest of your life.
- You can lose your job if you are arrested.
- You do not have to worry about being searched because you smell like marijuana
Relief from the Social Stigma
Treatment improves your overall social standing and helps you interact with others. The social benefits of quitting are:
- Many people view marijuana smokers unintelligent while on marijuana.
- Although you think you are being profound while stoned, you are usually not.
- People frown upon smoking marijuana in many cases.
- Pot smokers hang out with other pot smokers.
- Loss of nonsmoking friends.
- Lack of meaningful interactions with people.
- You no longer will smell like marijuana.
- Many people look down on those that smoke pot.
- You will not have to hide your habit anymore.
- You do not have to worry about someone finding your pot.
- You won’t have to worry about going someplace because you are stoned.
- It is easier to have a relationship with people who do not smoke marijuana.
- Family will be more willing to visit you.
- People will see you as a more capable person once you are not stoned.
- You will make more sense to people when you are off marijuana.
- You won’t be called a pot head, stoner, or baked all the time.
Other reasons for treatment
There are many other reasons why you should seek treatment for marijuana addiction. These are:
- You have tried to quit on your own and failed.
- It is interfering with your finances.
- You can no longer afford your bills due to buying marijuana.
- Your friends are drug dealers or have been arrested for drug use.
- Quitting improves your sense of smell and taste.
- You do not have to worry about running out of marijuana.
- You make more sense when you talk to others.
- You have increased motivation.
- You do more aside from sitting around smoking.
- You no longer have to worry about where to get marijuana.
- You are more focused when you do not smoke.
- You feel less guilty about things when you no longer smoke.
- It’s possible to find the reasons why you started in the first place and correct them.
- You might have a treatable underlying illness that caused you to start and it is treatable.
- Your physical appearance will improve.
- You actually will feel like taking a shower and getting cleaned up.
- Your self-esteem will increase.
- You won’t feel so tired all of the time.
- Feeling other emotions other than happy, happens when you are not stoned.
- You will remember more older memories that you lost by smoking.
- Marijuana happiness is fake, you will feel real happiness.
- Your diet will improve.
- You won’t have to worry about marijuana related weight gain anymore,
- People will stop looking at you like a drug addict.
- Your overall health will improve.
- You won’t have to explain your marijuana use to doctors or emergency room staff.
There are many other personal reasons put addiction treatment on your agenda. Marijuana is still termed a substance of abuse by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. It is addictive and can cause serious problems in your life.